Monday, October 15, 2007

Our Songs

Noon tagged to come up with “Our Song” list and engagement story. I have already written about our engagement story.

Moving on to “Our Song” list … hmm, well, first a disclaimer.
“This list is written by me because the songs mentioned are “Special” to me … if BP is asked about it, the most likely reply would be “I love these songs … but are they “Our Songs??”

It was the night we had arrived from India, after our marriage. For me, it was the first night, I was spending in the US. Being so far away from family, first time in a new land, new settings, I was going through a lot of emotions. As we settled down on our bed, BP came sat, beside me, patted me on my head and said he’d like to sing a song for me. The song was “Minchu hula, minchadiru ….”. I was soooooooo touched. I had never heard of the song before. (really felt stupid having missed out on such a romantic song till then). The lyrics of the song could not have been any more romantic. It is a movie song where the hero compares his girl to precious things and concludes, his doll (girl) is better than anything else he has ever known.
I had tears in my eyes … I had never imagined BP to be so thoughtful … he had just ensured a perfect setting for us to start our life together.

Another song which I consider “Our song” is yet another kannada song. This was again, during our initial days in the US. I knew BP was not trained in Carnatic music, he had a very basic understanding of that kind of music. Myself, being trained in music, I always had this habit of converting movie songs which appealed to me into music notes and recognize the “Raaga”. One evening, I was preparing our evening snacks, setting the table ready before BP came back from work. I was humming the song “Mellusire Savi gaana, Yede Jhallane Hoovina baana”. Then I heard BP surprising me with “Sa sa sa sa sa…. Sa sa sa sa” … basically he sang the same note “Sa” in the tune of the song  Could not just control my laughter !! Even today, everytime, we hear this song, we look at each other and say “Sa sa sa sa …. Sa sa sa sa”.

5 comments:

noon said...

Hey CA - OMG - he is so romantic - to actually sing* that song to you w/out your asking! Damn sweet. See - now I need to tell B about this - I have been begggging him to sing one song for me - he has a very good voice and can sing well (my loves his rendition of "Muffin man" - if I sing it she says - B sings it well (like "you don't"! ) - he promised me he would when we were newly weds - yet to hear it!
And wow - you can convert movie songs to notes instantly and get the raga - so you are the go to person for me now when I want to knwo what Raga a movie song sounds like! Cool! You only to listen to Kannada songs? Tamil too?
BTW - read your engmnt story - forgot that I had read it earlier.
Thanks for doing the tag!

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Very very nice and sweet and romantic. BP did that? Wow. I am so impressed :)

Ofcourse I know all about your famous raaga, movie song thing. Remember Snehithane from Alaipayuthey? :) (Now that would our song, yours and mine)

Squiggles Mom said...

That was really thoughtful of him. How sweet!

Cantaloupes.Amma (CA) said...

@Noon: I do listen to Tamil songs ... kannada being mother tongue, listen more. BP is not a great singer.
Thanks for tagging me ... it brought back some sweet memories :)

@Poppins: Are you surprised BP did that? I bet not !! He is more romantic than me;)
Of course I remember the Snehithane song ... one of the best times we spent together !! THe discussion on the movie selection is still fresh in my mind ;)

@Squiggles mom: BP is very romantic ... I am still learning his ways :)

noon said...

Awarded...

 

My circle of life with BP, Cantaloupe and Junior and much more | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL